Pages - Menu

Sunday, May 25, 2014

"Oh, I thought you were my dad"

Something funny happened today...

This afternoon, I went downstairs to grab a snack out of the kitchen, passing Sson in the living room, who was FULLY engrossed in the episode of "The Magic Schoolbus" that he was watching. Moments later, Sson comes running toward the kitchen, and says "so what's for dinner?". Rounding the corner into the kitchen, he stops and says "Oh. I thought it was my dad".

I sorta cocked my head, confused, and asked him, "do you think you can't ask me questions too?". He shrugged. I said, "does your dad cook dinner?". He shrugs again, then shakes his head no. I then say, "It's OK for you to ask me things too, I can usually help". He says, "OK", and runs off.

Now, I must say, I've sorta taken advantage of the fact that Sson does this, because at 7 Saturday morning, it's not my name being called through the door. But, it hit me today: I've not really proven myself a reliable source of caregiving. Not in Sson's eyes, anyway.

So, I'm thinking the following exercise is necessary: One week, (probably when Sson is with us during the week, once school is out), I'll become his primary source of help. Hubby is to relinquish any summons to me (this'll be a little irritating, but...), I will respond to any and every need that Sson has. This is with the hopes that Sson will come to the conclusion that both Hubby and I are capable of opening a water bottle, reaching something on a high shelf, tying a shoe.

Have you encountered something like this? What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Good idea! I never really thought about it before. My stepson never really went through that. In fact sometimes he asks me instead of Dad! LOL! But I think it is a good point to make. Sometimes we have to be intentional about how much we do or don't do for our stepkids. Glad to see you posting again! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stepparenting is an intentional, non-automatic discipline. THIS is what I'm learning! :)

      Delete